Thursday, August 9, 2012

Welcome Back (Fantasy) Football!!



With the NFL preseason beginning this week, football fans can rejoice as one of America’s most popular spectator sports begins anew. But are the games what fans are really most excited about?

Fantasy football seems to be an unstoppable and ever-growing aspect of NFL fandom. According to the Fantasy Sports Trade Association, an estimated 35 million people played fantasy sports in North America last year, with a large majority of that participation likely from fantasy football. That participation will only increase this season, with more and more fans being introduced to the game every year. Even before the preseason began, popular websites that host fantasy sports like ESPN.com and Yahoo.com opened up their fantasy functionality, giving fans weeks to draft and prepare for the upcoming season. ESPN even devoted the entire August issue of their magazine to the subject. Even I can admit to getting too carried away with the phenomenon. I’ve already joined/re-joined 4 leagues, many of which have already conducted drafts.

I’m really curious to see how fantasy sports, fantasy football in particular, advance in popularity over the next few years. With the modern advancements in technology and the introduction of younger fans to the game, I wouldn’t be surprised if participation increase exponentially in the years to come.

It’s also interesting to see how large fantasy-hosting companies have noticed the games’ popularity and have catered to its users. ESPN and Yahoo have mobile apps that users can integrate onto their smartphones and keep track of their teams while they’re watching the actual games. By investing this heavily in fantasy football, it’s easy to get distracted while watching, and may even cause conflicts between NFL fandom and fantasy participation.

The following excerpt is from a research paper I wrote last year about this very subject:

“There are times that I might care about fantasy football more than actually watching the games. For example, I own Ben Roethlisberger on one of my fantasy teams. Roethlisberger’s team, the Pittsburg Steelers, was playing my favorite team, the New England Patriots, a few weekends ago. This situation presented a huge conflict of interest. I wanted Big Ben to play well because it would greatly help my fantasy team, but I also wanted the Patriots to win because they’re my favorite real life team. So whenever Roethlisberger would complete a big pass play or a touchdown, I’d be both happy and angry. In the end, I’ll always side with my fandom of the Patriots, but it’s definably scary to see how fantasy has drastically altered the way that I watch football.”

What do you think? Will fantasy sports eventually disconnect fans with actual gameplay? Will fantasy sports ever mean more than or usurp the popularity/fandom of the games themselves? 

3 comments:

  1. That's a very interesting point, Josh! I find myself pulling for my fantasy players to do well even when they're playing my favorite team.

    It will be interesting to see how TV ratings improve as fantasy sports continues to grow. Many fantasy fans may tune in to a game they wouldn't normally have an interest in the outcome because they want to see how their fantasy players perform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are here to make purchasing your vehicle as easy as possible. We partnered with some of the leading financing institutions to make it happen.Please, apply directly with the following institutions.
    http://www.assisttosellautos.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Great job. I think it would be effective for all. Its really a great offer. Personally I like it.
    NFL Football Fantasy.

    ReplyDelete