Monday, December 30, 2013

Feeding the Soul: What You Need to Know

As I start to write this blog post, I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas and is looking forward to a Happy New Year. Quickly, I would like to give a brief overview of what this post will contain. As stated in the title, I am starting to compose stories I have come across that feed the soul through the use of sport. I plan on continuing a series of posts highlighting a new story every two weeks. I hope that everyone enjoys the stories and learn as much from them as I have.

The other day I was sitting with my family and we started talking about New Year's Resolutions. The debate surfaced that all resolutions often revolve around the gym, health, or becoming more fit. While I initially agreed with this statement, I wanted to think of a resolution that was unique and could help better my emotional and mental state rather just physical. I was stuck and had no real ideas. I became disappointed but then the lightning bulb went off. I started thinking of a story that was highlighted on the show Real Sports on HBO. I remember the way the story made me feel. (I will highlight this story in a future blog.) The point is, I remember what I took away from the story - to be thankful for all that I have. I believe we have all read a story or witnessed an event that changes our life. We start to change the way we act and our happiness is affected positively. The problem for me is that the feeling I experience from the inspirational story starts to wear off and I do not notice it until it is completely gone. Hence I came up with this idea to start a new column for this blog.

My goal for this column is to keep the feelings of happiness and self-worth in myself going throughout all of 2014. However, my other goal is to help to do the same for all who read about these truly amazing stories. Often times as a society we forget all the good that sport can do and it is important to realize the true benefits that go unnoticed.

Stay tuned for my first story that will be available next Monday, January 6. For all those who would like to stay up to date with these stories, make sure to follow Drexel SMTSU on Twitter. You can also follow myself, @mikeproska , or send me an email and I will make sure to email you a link of the story. I hope everyone has a healthy and safe New Year!

---

Michael Proska is a sophomore at Drexel University from Springfield, PA pursuing a Sport Management degree along with a minor in Statistics. Along with being a writer for the SMTSU blog, The Sports Complex, he has worked at Drexel Athletics and for the Philadelphia 76ers. Michael is also a member of the Army ROTC at Drexel University and the Secretary for the SMTSU.  Follow Michael on Twitter @mikeprosk.

 Connect with Michael Proska on LinkedIn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment