Thursday, May 10, 2012

Co-Op Confidential - Brian Palmer


NameBrian Palmer
Year: Pre-Junior
CompanyPhiladelphia Freedoms
Location: Ambler, PA in the Offseason; Villanova –During the Season

Who are the Philadelphia Freedoms?
Co-founded by Billie Jean King, World Team Tennis is America 's only professional co-ed team sport. Tennis fans have the opportunity to watch world-class men and women professionals on the same team playing singles, doubles and mixed doubles in an exciting and unique format. This year we have James Blake, John McEnroe, Bryan Brothers and other outstanding tennis players coming to the Pavilion to showcase their talents.

What are my responsibilities?
I have a hand in most areas with the Freedoms, except for ticketing. I am working with the General Manager Barbara Perry, formerly Vice President of IMG, to gain corporate sponsors and sell corporate packages for the upcoming season. Also, I work with Jon Blitzer and Melissa Alpuche in operations in different aspects, from forming trade deals to working with our marketing agency. I have a hand in most things which only enhances my experience.

Do you like it so far?
I truly do enjoy my experience so far with the Freedoms. It has its ups and downs but I am gaining a valuable experience here. Working with Barbara Perry is truly a pleasure. She loves new and creative ideas and I try to find new ways of adding something to the company everyday. It is challenging and frustrating when someone does not return your call or email however, that’s part of the business. So far I enjoy my time here and I believe its only get better once the season begins.

Downsides?
The only downside for me is the cost of travel. Aside from that I really have no complaint because I am kept doing something at most points of the day.

What are you looking forward to?
I won’t lie and say that I am not looking forward to meeting tennis icons such as John McEnroe, Chris Evert, and James Blake. I’ve met Billie Jean King previously and it was a pleasure. It is not every day you get to meet someone who was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, America ’s highest civilian honor. So I can’t wait to see the many other stars that work through the Pavilion.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, do the Philadelphia Freedoms take part in any Market Research? I understand they are still a growing/up-and-coming company and I was curious if they are measuring their success in any way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayley doing some recruiting for Turnkey, nice work haha.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course! Is Comcast-Spectacor interested?

    ReplyDelete