Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Co-Op Confidential - Kevin Rossi


Name: Kevin Rossi
Year: Sophomore
Company: Comcast-Spectacor
Location: Philadelphia, PA

What does Comcast-Spectacor do?
Comcast-Spectacor, not to be confused with “Comcast”, is the company that owns the Philadelphia Flyers and the Wells Fargo Center.  Comcast-Spectacor also assists in some of the Philadelphia 76ers operations.  Also, Comcast-Spectacor has Global Spectrum, Ovations, New Era Tickets, Front Marketing, and others under their umbrella of companies.

What are your responsibilities?
I'm an intern in the Technology Solutions department; however, I usually just tell people that I work in the market research department because that sums up my job easier.  The game day interns during the season administered surveys at games and basically my job is to now clean up the surveys.  This requires a lot of time spent on Excel.  The ultimate goal is to get the information prepared for the end-of-season report that will be presented to the stakeholders.  After this big project is done, my job will be changing a lot.  Since there isn’t as much to do during the offseason, I will be jumping from department to department helping out where needed.  I’m actually looking forward to that because I’ll be able to meet some more people and get closer to figuring out what I want to do with my career.

Do you like it so far?
I have thoroughly enjoyed my co-op experience thus far.  I have connected with a bunch of people so far which will be extremely beneficial down the road.  Never too early to start building up a network!  Some of the information is interesting, but I am getting valuable experience in an extremely valuable field.  One of my projects required me to research into different customer relations management (CRM) systems.  On the surface it isn’t too exciting, but it is beneficial to get familiar with all of the different options out there.

Are there any downsides?
Sitting at a computer for most of the day is tough.  Anybody who knows me knows that I’m not very good at sitting still.  I’m more of the up-and-at-‘em type.

What are you looking forward to?
The biggest thing I’m looking forward to is jumping around from department to department.  When that time comes I will meet a lot more people and learn a lot more about the business.  Considering I’m not exactly sure what I want to do with my career, this experience and networking will be extremely valuable in trying to figure things out.  Plus, I love learning, so learning anything new is always a huge positive. 

Interested in sharing your co-op experience?  Contact DrexelSMTSU@gmail.com for details!

No comments:

Post a Comment