Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Freshman Files: Ryan Pratt



 Name: Ryan Pratt
Current Year
: Junior
Freshman Dorm: Race
Co-Ops: UPenn Athletic Communications, American Association for Cancer Research (Development office)
Area of Interest: Athletic fundraising

What is your favorite memory from freshman year?
The complete change of scenery from what I was used to, moving into a big city. All the experiences from freshman year laid the foundation for all I’ve been able to do since then.

What is the most important thing that you learned about sport management and the sports industry?
Networking is the key to success. Working with and meeting other people is this industry, and the more people who know you, the better. Connections, both in the classroom and through work experience are invaluable to learning about and breaking into the industry.

What advice would you give to the freshmen based on your experiences?
You need to jump in immediately and take advantage of any opportunities that present themselves. There are infinite opportunities to gain experience in the sports industry, and most freshmen students sit back and wait for something to come to them. Get involved in student organizations, ask if you can help a professor with a research project, or be a game-day volunteer for a local sports team. Putting yourself out there, in whatever way you decide, is a key to figuring out what you like and don’t like in the industry. Plus, the lessons you will learn and the people you meet can help you find co-op and other job opportunities in the future.

If you could do freshman year all over again, what would you do differently?
I probably would have looked into the research opportunities of the STAR Program to do research with one of the SMT professors or applied to be an Orientation Leader. I used my only summer to catch up with my friends from home and enjoy the last little bit of summer freedom. In hindsight, I missed out on a great opportunity to add an important piece to my resume. If I had to do it all over again, I also probably would have also applied to be a Student Ambassador while I still had time in my life to do so. Nevertheless, I’m happy with how things DID go, as it got me where I am today.

Previous: Kevin Giordano
On Deck: Greg Monforte

No comments:

Post a Comment