Thursday, December 20, 2012

Under Further Review: Now What To Do?



Now that you’re finally done fall term 2012, what are you going to do next!?  If you can muster anything more than a blank-faced stare only caused by your brain turning to mush after a week of final exams, group projects, final papers, and presentations, then I would honestly be impressed. 

In reality you probably gave an answer that included sleeping, eating, doing nothing, and sleeping.  I’m not here to tell you that you’re wrong.  I’m just here to tell you that you’re not exactly right.  Many times we are judged more by what we do with our free time than by what we do in class.  This is conceivably the most free time some of you will have until the summer, so use it wisely. 

I know that this is going to sound crazy, but a great way to spend your break being constructive without sacrificing relaxation is to… read!  Admittedly, I’m a nerd.  You all know that by now.  I read anything and everything I can get my hands on.  I read partly because I appreciate how some of the best writers can craft their words, partly because it helps me become a better writer, and partly because I just love to know what’s going on in the crazy world around me.
The beauty about reading, and especially reading in your free time, is that it can be on anything you want.  Personally I like to read a little bit in sports business, but mostly I like to read about how sports connect to the rest of the world. 

Currently I am reading Bad Sports by Dave Zirin and I plan to read Toxic Sludge is Good for You by John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton.  Bad Sports  is about sports welfare and possible solutions (if you enjoy learning about the topic of sports welfare, then this piece from Patrick Hruby at Sports on Earth is a must read).  Toxic Sludge is Good for You is about public relations and how PR people can turn anything in their favor.  Also on my reading list but a bit too ambitious for just a three week break is Idiot America by Charles Pierce, What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell, and Over Time by Frank Deford.  If you need reading suggestions, then let me know and I’ll be happy to help.  There’s nothing I like more than sharing books and articles that I’ve read (besides maybe finding new ones myself).

Reading over break will help you get ahead of your competition, and in the competitive sports industry, every little bit counts.  Knowing what’s going on in the world of sports as well as being able to share good reads with people can only help you in the short term and the long term.  Don’t miss out on this opportunity.  Now that you’ve been through at least one term at Drexel, you know that time is of the essence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment