Thursday, December 27, 2012

Water Cooler Talk: Sports Resolutions 2013



I hope that all of our readers had a great Christmas and got to spend plenty of time with family and good friends.  Now that Christmas is over I look forward to starting 2013.  I know after all that I ate over the past couple days one of my New Year’s resolutions is going to be get back in shape.  Every year I make this my resolution and I never start until around April but I hope this year will be different.  This year I want to make some sports related resolutions that can benefit me but can also help anyone looking to get into sports as a profession.  

My first two resolutions both involve reading.  First I want to try to read at least one sports related book a month.  This is a good goal while I am in class and I will try to read 2 or 3 a month once coop starts.  The knowledge you gain from these books can benefit you greatly in so many ways.  You can see how professionals have broken into the sports world in the past; learn how some of the greatest sports marketers got their ideas, and much more.  I know my roommate and fellow Sports Complex writer Kevin Rossi has many of the books that I want to read sitting on his desk and I will be taking some of them over the next couple months to read.

My second reading resolution will be to read Sports Business Journal more often.  For sport management majors at Drexel we are required to buy a subscription and I definitely do not take advantage of owning it.  In 2013 I will try to read at least a couple articles from here every week if not all of them.  If you know what is going on in the sports world currently this can give you an advantage when at an interview or at your job.

My final resolution is to get more involved at Drexel.  I already am an officer for SMTSU but I would love to work on a research project with a professor.  This is something that I would try to do during coop since I will have a lot more time and no school work to worry about.  This is a good way to meet people in the industry and looks great on your resume.  

These are my sport related resolutions for 2013 and I hope to stick to all of them.  I encourage everyone to make at least one resolution for this upcoming year and stick to it.  Try to better yourself in 2013 and make it an even better year than 2012.   

1 comment:

  1. I love sitting our the water cooler chatting about various politics and sports. However, we had a temp regulation problem last week with our water cooler. It was a catastrophe! No it wasn't, all it needed was a new chiller. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete