Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Co-op Confidential: Matt Louis, Scholastic Play by Play Classics

Name: Matt Louis
Year: Sophomore
Co-op Employer: Scholastic Play-by-Play Classics
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Title: Marking and Public Relations Coordinator

What is Scholastic PlaybyPlay Classics?
Scholastic Play by Play Classics is an organization that hosts the best high school basketball teams and players from around the United States for tournaments and showcases. Current and former NBA players that have been showcased by SPBPC include: Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Dejuan Wagner, Eddie Giffin, Jameer Nelson, Kevin Durant, O.J. Mayo, and Michael Beasley. SPBPC has hosted camps and showcases in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, and Tennessee.

How did you find this job?
This job was posted in the Drexel's co-op system.

What were your favorite parts?
My favorite part was running the game day operations. Although I had to work on weekends, I got to visit different high schools and colleges where I watched some of the best high school basketball players and teams around the country play. IT was the first time ever that I witnessed two 7 foot high school players face each other, which is pretty rare.

What were the most challenging parts?
My most challenging moments were the long working weekends where I would occasionally work from 10:00 am until 12:00 am unpaid, often with long commutes; would often wind up working 50-60 hours per week.

What skills did you use the most during your 6 months?
I needed to constantly adapt to certain situations as I was consistently on my feet; things don't always go as planned. There was a time when our most hyped game of the year was being played on a Sunday at the same time when the Eagles-Cowboys game got flexed to National TV and we had to move the game to Saturday night. Some of the key skills that I developed were patience, organization, leadership, communication, and commitment. Many of these skills are vital especially when applying myself to a higher position later on in life.

What were some things that you learned during the 6 months that you think will help you in the future?
First and foremost, I learned to communicate better with both my co-workers and customers. I gained a new confidence in myself, which I hope will help me become a more outgoing individual.

Find more information about Scholastic Play by Play Classics and follow them on Twitter.
Connect with Matt Louis on LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment