Thursday, November 8, 2012

Freshman Files: Kevin Rossi



Name: Kevin Rossi

Current Year: Pre-Junior

Freshman Dorm: Myers

Co-Ops: Comcast-Spectacor (Wells Fargo Center)

Area of Interest: Public Relations, Media Relations, Digital Marketing, Social Media

What is your favorite memory from freshman year?
My favorite memory aside from meeting a whole new group of friends may actually be realizing that sport management is right for me.  Many people are scared away by the fact that the industry doesn’t immediately pay well, but it is true when people say that you’ll love what you do.  I worked very hard my freshmen year, but I barely felt like I did any “work” because I loved every second of what I was doing.  It has already paid off for me and looking back at that memory of satisfaction keeps me moving forward to where I want to be.

What is the most important thing that you learned about sport management and the sports industry?
I think it’s close to impossible to pick just one thing, to be honest.  First, you learn how important your network truly is.  Sport isn’t an industry where your GPA gets you everywhere.  You need to know people and leverage those contacts.  It may seem a little awkward at first, but it gets easier with time. 
Another important thing is that you need to love what you do.  You’re not going to get a co-op as the assistant general manager.  It’s just ain’t gonna happen.  I learned that I love what I do and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to get to where I want to be. 

What advice would you give to the freshman based on your experience?
My advice to the freshman would be to step outside of your comfort zone and try new things especially within the sport management program.  You may come in to school thinking that you want to be an agent or a general manager or a scout.  Don’t take your eye off of your ultimate goal, but know that you are going to have to work hard to get there and do things that you’ve never done before.  Don’t rule anything out before you try it at least once.
Another thing that may seem complicated is to not forget where you came from.  You always want to look forward in college but sometimes it’s necessary to look back.  Don’t forget about your high school friends and definitely don’t forget about your family.  Always make a conscious effort to stay in contact with them.  You never know when you’ll need to ask them for a professional favor!

If you could do it all over again, what would you do different?
Besides try to find a way to add more hours in a day?  Just kidding.  If I could do it all over again, I would have been more involved with the program.  If you become friends with the professors, then you will always have great opportunities to come your way.  Also I would have stepped outside of my comfort zone quicker.  Definitely try new things, talk to people that you wouldn’t normally talk to, explore the city.  Do NOT let these four or five years simply pass you by. 

Previous: Kevis Pinto
Previous: Kevin Murray
Previous: Dan Mullin
Previous: Hayley Zedeck
Previous: Greg Monforte
Previous: Ryan Pratt
Previous: Kevin Giordano

No comments:

Post a Comment