Monday, February 18, 2013

NFL Draft 2013: Philadelphia Eagles


What should the Philadelphia Eagles do with their draft picks this year? I can’t tell you how many countless times I have watched the NFL Draft and yelled at my TV furious with who the Eagles passed up on or took a chance on. This draft, if done right, could be the missing piece that could send the Philadelphia Eagles back to the playoffs. Unfortunately for Eagles fans and I, history shows that the Eagles will probably not get the most out of this draft.

           

Luke Joeckel is a player with a huge upside and as much as I think we should draft defensive players I think we have to pick Joeckel if he is available. Having said that I do think that if Kansas City does not pick Joeckel I would not be surprised if someone traded up to the second spot to snag him. Taking this in to consideration Eagle’s fans should not get their hopes up on Joeckel.

Dee Millner is the guy I would select, however, I really want us to trade down anywhere to the 8th-10th spots to do so. I don’t think he is worth the 4th overall pick but I am very worried about the Detroit Lions picking at number 5. The Philadelphia Eagles really struggled covering wide receivers last year and some of the fault has to also go on the safeties. Most of the fault does go on the cornerbacks. Thus I propose the idea of drafting Dee Millner in the first and another cornerback in the second.

Logan Ryan and Xavier Rhoades are two names that come to mind for me as stud cornerbacks that could be available by the time of our 2nd round pick. This would provide a solid young cornerback tandem for the future. Dominique Rodgers Cromartie will probably ask for too much money and the Eagles should let him go. Nnamdi should stay. I am not the biggest fan of Nnamdi to say the least, however he is willing to restructure his contract and thus can stay on the team. Maybe even try moving him to safety, which is a position that he played in college.

In the third round we should draft a safety like TJ McDonald from USC. Defense was a huge weakness last year and the Eagles need to get back to having a fearful defense like they did before. Then after those three selections we can pick an offensive lineman, a receiver and some depth at the defensive line. I will not be a happy camper if the Eagles use anything higher than a 6th round pick on a quarterback.

---

Lindrit Shkodra is a freshman Sport Management major at Drexel University and the Sport Management Student Union General Understudy.

No comments:

Post a Comment