Monday, April 1, 2013

Allen Iverson Bobble Head Night in Philadelphia



It’s been over three years since we have seen Allen Iverson play in the NBA. The Philadelphia Sixers played the Charlotte Bobcats Saturday Night in Allen Iverson Bobble Head Night. The Philadelphia Sixers have struggled selling tickets this year and playing the Bobcats isn’t going to help anyone sell tickets. However, the stands were pact Saturday night as fans came to see on of their heroes one more time.


When asked about the crowd, Iverson replied, “That’s Philadelphia.” Iverson looked as if he has really matured showing passion and love for the city that he called his home seven years. It all seemed fitting that everyone came out to see the man that built the Wells Fargo Center with his astonishing play in the late 1990s through 2006.

After the interview with Dei Lynam Iverson had after the game, it seemed as if reality was starting to creep in to Iverson. Iverson desperately wants a return to the NBA but retirement is starting to come into his inner thoughts.

“I put it in God’s hands. He has done so much for me and given me so much,” Iverson said. “The NBA has given me so much obviously, making me a household name, and I have accomplished a lot in the NBA. And if the road ends here, then it does and I am not bitter about it. I don’t feel no type of way because I understand that he helped me accomplish so many things in the NBA and so many things that people thought that I couldn’t do."

Iverson wanted to reassure that he was not completely writing off his return to the NBA.

“At some point it comes to an end regardless, however it comes, whether it is retirement or injury, at some point it comes to an end,” Iverson continued. “I am happy and content with everything that has gone on in my life and I am just looking for the next phase, and if I get a chance to play again I would love the opportunity, but if not I will continue to just be happy.”

914 NBA Games and 24,368 Points is sure to put someone in the Hall of Fame right? I think so and I believe that as soon as Iverson has been away from the game for 5 years he will be a first ballot hall of famer. His 24,368 points scored ranks 19th all-time in the NBA. He is 12th all-time in steals and 11th in free-throws made. And he reached those numbers weighing 165 pounds and standing 6-feet tall.

“I think about it all the time,” Iverson said of his Hall of Fame possibilities. “My friends let me know about it. My family let me know about it and me being, I wouldn’t say arrogant or cocky, but confident as I am, I expect that to happen and I am looking forward to it."

So we are left to see. Will an NBA team give Iverson one more run? Or will he have to retire?

---

Lindrit Shkodra is originally from Diber, Macedonia but lives in Maple Shade, NJ. He is a freshman in the Sports Management program and is currently the General Understudy of the Drexel Sports Management Student Union. On the weekends he works at the Wegmans in Mount Laurel and on the weekdays he interns with Ron Jaworski’s Celebrity Golf Challenge.  Follow Lindrit on Twitter @LindritShkodra.

Connect with Lindrit Shkodra on LinkedIn.


No comments:

Post a Comment