Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Co-Op Confidential: Aaron Coleman


Name: Aaron Coleman

Year: Sophomore
Company: Philadelphia Soul
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Who are the Philadelphia Soul?

The Philadelphia Soul are an Arena Football League team that play at the Wells Fargo Center. Established in 2003 by a group of investors led by rock & roll legend Jon Bon Jovi, the team has won one AFL title in 2008 and are currently the defending American Conference Champions. They are currently owned in part by NFL QB legend Ron Jaworski.


What are my responsibilities?
My duties vary from game-to-game. During one game, I may be helping maintain order at the replay booth or getting every in-game promotion ready while during others, I may be helping out the PA announcers or being tasked with keeping the timing of all events in order. I also help out during “Town Takeover”, which are events where the team goes to a nearby city and has an open practice for the fans.

Do I like it so far?

I enjoy working the games because they are fun and the fans are very entertaining. Also, it feels really good when you have an important job and get to see how it plays an important role in the game going correctly. Finally, I feel like everyone that works there is really nice and it is fun to see the camaraderie building with each game we work together.  Oh, and I got to shake hands with Ron Jaworski and Vince Papale!!

Downsides?

There really is not a lot of work to do outside of game days so I have taken up other internships in order to occupy my down time. I really wish there was more for me to do as I feel like other co-ops may have been better in that aspect.


What am I looking forward to in the future?

I am looking to gain more connects within the Soul in order for me to maybe move to a different department and possibly get a position with more responsibility. 

---

Previous:

---

Aaron J. Coleman is currently a sport management major at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA minoring in Communication (with a focus in Public Relations). He was born and raised in Upper Marlboro, MD, a suburb outside of Washington, DC. He is currently a supervisor for Drexel’s Intramural Sports program and also an intern for the Arena Football Legaue’s Philadelphia Soul franchise. He covers the Chicago Bulls, New York Yankees, and Washington Redskins (his favorite squads along with the Washington Capitals and Drexel Dragons) for sportsfansnews.com. Follow Aaron on Twitter @shutupCole

No comments:

Post a Comment