Monday, May 6, 2013

Co-op Confidential: Ryan Pratt

Name: Ryan Pratt
Year: Junior
Company: Drexel University, Office of New Student & Family Programs
Location: Philadelphia, PA

What is the Office of New Student & Family Programs?
NSFP is an office under the larger umbrella of Student Affairs (Campus Activities, Commuter/Transfer Engagement, Campus Engagement, Fraternity & Sorority Life, Residential Living, Student Conduct & Community Standards, Counseling & Health, International Student Scholar Services, etc.). NSFP oversees all New Student Orientation sessions during the summer, as well as works closely with the Drexel Family Association. Through this, NSFP works to transition new students and their families into Drexel life and culture.

What are your responsibilities?
My title is Coordinator of Family Programs. I’ll be overseeing everything in regards to the family program during NSO, including a number of roundtable discussions and the Dean’s Dessert Reception. I have also been tasked with sponsorship development, creation and distribution of the annual family guide, and the training and management of a 20 member Orientation Assistant staff throughout the summer.

Do you like it thus far?
Yes—after four years at Drexel, I’ve realized the sports industry isn’t where what I want to work the rest of my life. My activities throughout college have shown me that I have a passion (and some skill) in Student Affairs, and this job gives me experience in one of the major aspects of a career in Higher Education. Furthermore, I get to work on a regular basis with people from all parts of Student Affairs, including student conduct, fraternity & sorority life, commuter/transfer programming, campus activities, residential living, and many others.
Plus, I finally have a paying co-op.

Downsides?
I’m not sure orientation is something I want to work in for the rest of my life, but even then, it is building skills that will help me in graduate school/a future career. I can’t complain too much: I’ve enjoyed it thus far.

What are you looking forward to?
When July hits, NSO sessions start. While it’s going to be absolute chaos (8am-12am days twice a week, followed by 6am-5pm days) I know I’m going to learn a ton and have an unbelievable time teaching new Drexel students about our university. This opportunity will also expand my network and open some new doors for a future career.

---

Previous:
Mike Proska

---


Ryan Pratt is a junior Sport Management major at Drexel University.  Ryan has past experience as manager for the Drexel men’s basketball team, Communications Assistant for University of Penn Athletics, and Administration Associate for the American Association for Cancer Research.  Currently, Ryan serves as President of the Drexel Interfraternity Council and Advisor to the Board of Directors for Lambda Chi Alpha.  Follow Ryan @LXAPratt.


Connect with Ryan Pratt on LinkedIn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment