Friday, May 17, 2013

Co-op Confidential: Matt Puzio


Name: Matt Puzio
Year: Sophomore
Company: Trenton Thunder
Location: Trenton, NJ
Position: Front Office Intern


Who is Trenton Thunder?

Trenton Thunder is the Double A Affiliate of the New York Yankees. The team plays in the Eastern Division of the Easter League. They are two-time league champions. This is the team’s inaugural season playing at Arm & Hammer Park as it was formerly called Waterfront Park.


What are my responsibilities?

As part of the internship, I am responsible for working two days a week in the office in addition to working every home game. My responsibilities in the office vary as I rotate from department to department. Already I have gained exposure in areas such as promotions, merchandising, facility management, and community relations. In addition, a big portion of my internship requires me to make ticket sales calls. During games, I could be doing anything ranging from working the Kid Zone to ushering to being the receptionist to being the mascot.


Do I like it so far?

I really like my experience so far at Trenton Thunder. I enjoy the variety of responsibilities I am assigned. I also like the environment in which I work in. I like that the full-time staff are able to delegate tasks to me that are pertinent to the overall success of the organization. It makes me feel like I am making an immediate impact. Each day I am learning something new and there is never a boring moment in the office. As a result of the number of customers I interact with on a daily basis, I have been able to enhance both my interpersonal and intrapersonal skills.


Downsides?

The only downsides are the long homestands. There are weeks when I am working 10-12 days in a row but the hard work is definitely worth it. I actually feel like the long work weeks contribute to the unity in office as we are “in-it-together”.

What am I looking forward to in the future?

Down the road, I would like to continue to develop professional relationships with my co-workers, including the other interns. Also, one goal I have is to improve upon my capabilities as an effective salesman. I would be remiss if I did not stress the importance of ticket sales within a sports organization, especially minor league baseball. Without ticket sales, there would be no Thunder baseball.

---

No comments:

Post a Comment