Friday, May 17, 2013

Co-op Confidential: Matt Puzio


Name: Matt Puzio
Year: Sophomore
Company: Trenton Thunder
Location: Trenton, NJ
Position: Front Office Intern


Who is Trenton Thunder?

Trenton Thunder is the Double A Affiliate of the New York Yankees. The team plays in the Eastern Division of the Easter League. They are two-time league champions. This is the team’s inaugural season playing at Arm & Hammer Park as it was formerly called Waterfront Park.


What are my responsibilities?

As part of the internship, I am responsible for working two days a week in the office in addition to working every home game. My responsibilities in the office vary as I rotate from department to department. Already I have gained exposure in areas such as promotions, merchandising, facility management, and community relations. In addition, a big portion of my internship requires me to make ticket sales calls. During games, I could be doing anything ranging from working the Kid Zone to ushering to being the receptionist to being the mascot.


Do I like it so far?

I really like my experience so far at Trenton Thunder. I enjoy the variety of responsibilities I am assigned. I also like the environment in which I work in. I like that the full-time staff are able to delegate tasks to me that are pertinent to the overall success of the organization. It makes me feel like I am making an immediate impact. Each day I am learning something new and there is never a boring moment in the office. As a result of the number of customers I interact with on a daily basis, I have been able to enhance both my interpersonal and intrapersonal skills.


Downsides?

The only downsides are the long homestands. There are weeks when I am working 10-12 days in a row but the hard work is definitely worth it. I actually feel like the long work weeks contribute to the unity in office as we are “in-it-together”.

What am I looking forward to in the future?

Down the road, I would like to continue to develop professional relationships with my co-workers, including the other interns. Also, one goal I have is to improve upon my capabilities as an effective salesman. I would be remiss if I did not stress the importance of ticket sales within a sports organization, especially minor league baseball. Without ticket sales, there would be no Thunder baseball.

---

Previous:
Greg Montforte

Zachary Cintron 
Josh Backett
Lindrit Shkodra
Mark Gress
Aaron Coleman
Kevin Rossi
Kevin Murray
Ryan Pratt
Mike Proska


---


Matt Puzio is a sophomore in Drexel’s Sport Management program. From West Windsor, NJ, Matt is an active member of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity. Matt has assisted Drexel professor, Dr. Ellen Staurowsky, in her Title IX research which resulted in a publication and a chance to speak at the 2013 NCAA Scholarly Colloquium. Matt will soon complete his first Co-op with Trenton Thunder.  Follow Matt on Twitter @mattypuz.


Connect with Matt Puzio on LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment